Holden’s Decorative Gravels opened it’s doors in 1925 when Willian Henry Holden began trading in County Durham. He started the company by selling coal to local residents, with his horse and cart, and was well known figure in and around Quarrington Hill village.
During the late fifties William’s son – John William Holden assumed responsibiliy for family business. In around 1960 John took the decision to diversify into haulage, and the company began transportation of coal from the pits on behalf of the National Coal Board.
When the pits closed, once more Holden’s diversifed, this time it was John’s son, Des, who was running the business now, moved the company into the supply and distrubution of decorative gravels.
Des continues to run the family business to this day from the its original base in Quarrington Hill.